Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Rain, Rain and more rain!

Very wet day here in NC! I think I will start building an ark soon! Sorry that I haven't been blogging lately.....I've just been totally swamped at home this fall. Now that it's getting colder, I have more time. In fact, I have some crafty things that I will blog tomorrow to share with everyone! :)

I apologize for being AWOL. But I had to take a bit of vacation from blog-land to spend more time getting yardwork done, and chasing after my 2-year old. :)


Here is my questionaire for SP9:

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? While I really do like most yarns, I really love sock yarn, plus lace weight and fingering weight for lace scarves. :) I don't really care for fuzzy novelty yarns, although I do occasionally use some. About the only yarn I don't care for is very thick "plasticy'' feeling acrylic yarns (like the old Pop'n Yarn Walmart used to carry).

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? Unfortunately, they are just on a shelf in a heap right now. I desperately need to find something to store my needles in.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I learned nearly 2 years ago, but before that I crocheted for 16 years, so I picked it up fast. I'd say I'm an intermediate knitter.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes, there is a link to my Amazon list on my blog.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.) Spicy scents like Patchouli. Please no floral scents -- they give me a headache and make me sneeze (allergy).

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I am diabetic, so please no candy unless it's sugar free. I do allow myself 1 serving of flavored coffee or cocoa per day as my allowed "sweet''. :)

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I crochet, embroider, tat a bit...but mostly I knit. I'd love to learn how to spin, but haven't yet. And I also paint pewter miniatures.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I love music! Anything but rap or screamer music -- can't stand those at all. Mostly I listen to Classic rock from 60s/70s, or folk/celtic/new age mix (like Loreena McKennitt, enigma, enya, etc)

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? Please, please....no light pink. I have red hair, so just never really liked pink since I can't wear it at all. I like most other colors. :) Autumn or jewel shades of purple, blue and reds are my favorites. :)

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I am married with 2 sons -- one is 16, and the youngest is 2. I also have 2 stepkids -- 19 and 17. We have 1 dog, an 8-week old Pomeranian/Jack Russell Terrier mix puppy. And we have 5 cats -- Fooful, Frenchie, Grover, Elmo and Kato. They are mostly outside cats, although they do wander in and out to get pats, ear scritches and lap time. :)

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Big no to ponchos. lol. I do really enjoy scarves, hats and mittens though! :)

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Socks, purses/totes scarves, and dishcloths/potholders are my favorite projects. :)

13. What are you knitting right now? I'm working on a purse -- and finishing up a long-term project (a cable knit sweater vest for my MIL)

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? I LOVE LOVE LOVE handmade gifts! :)

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I use both straight and circular. It depends on the project which sort I use. I use bamboo, aluminum and plastic needles. I prefer metal DPNs for socks....just easier to slide the small gauge yarn without pulling too tightly. I use bamboo or wood when I'm making sweaters or other larger projects where it's important that the stitches not move until I want them to. :) And I use plastic needles when I need a strong point to pick up stitches easier....it seems the plastic needles really have a more defined point while my metal needles are more blunt at the ends.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? No, I don't have either. Wish I did though!

17. How old is your oldest UFO? Oh my.....do I have to admit it??? I have a cable knit vest I've been working on since LAST October. lol. It's the never ending project.

18. What is your favorite holiday? Halloween! :) Fall is my favorite season, so I really enjoy Halloween. And after that, I really enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas. :)

19. Is there anything that you collect? I collect tea pots, and interesting glass pieces (like unusual candle holders, glass bottles, glass art, paperweights, etc), and anything with chickens on it for my kitchen.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I subscribed to Knit Simple, but have only received one issue so far. I have several knitting books listed on my Amazon list -- any of those, or anything remotely like them would be nice. Free patterns and links to pattern sites on the internet are great too! :)

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I want to learn to knit lace....I'm just now starting to knit from charts and I'm enjoying it. Any beginners to intermediate lace patterns for scarves or even shawls would be so awesome!

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I enjoy knitting socks. :) You can ask for my foot measurements if you need them.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) 07/11