Friday, October 12, 2007

Beginnings!

I received a copy of "Folk Shawls'' by Cheryl Oberle in a book swap at PBS (paper back swap) this week! I was so excited! I've wanted this book for a long time and just never got around to ordering it for myself. Lori, my partner, also sent me 7 skeins of Knit Picks Shadow laceweight in Sunset (a pretty heathered burgundy), and 2 balls of cotton linen.

I've been wanting to make a lace shawl for myself for months! When I first opened the package I snuck a peek in the book and the first pattern is the Litla Dimum Shawl done in laceweight. It's a very pretty design, so I decided to start with it.



I think the yarn is just gorgeous! It took me forever to cast on 421 stitches using the cable cast on...but I got through it, and counted them twice to make sure I had the right number. I've only knitted two rows on it so far so it's at the bare beginnings stage still. This is my first attempt at a lace shawl....so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't screw it up. It's a bit intimidating.....but I know if I stick to it and get it done and blocked, that the 2nd shawl I make will seem so much easier. :)

For anyone wanting to try their hand at Lace Shawls, I really recommend Folk Shawls as a book to start with. I bought Traditional Lace Shawls by M. Waterman first, but it was too advanced. Traditional Lace Shawls basically gives open work instructions for all sorts of different lace patterns, but doesn't give any instructions for how to make a basic shawl utilizing any of the patterns. It's for a more advanced lace knitter who knows where to put all the increases/decreases and who can create their own basic pattern around the open work look that they want. I'm not at that level yet, but I will work up to that!! Folk shawls has 25 patterns for all sorts of traditional shawls from all over the world, and gives the complete instructions (typed out and charted). That way I can learn the basics of where the increases/decreases go depending on shape....and build up to being able to design my own ideas.

I thought I'd post an updated picture of Gracie. She's gotten a lot bigger since the last picture was taken (see post below this one). The older photo was taken in August. Here's Gracie now:



She gets bigger and fluffier every day almost. She's part Maine Coon and is now bigger than her adopted sister Babie who is more than a month older than her. Amazing how fast kittens change isn't it!! :)

We had a guest in the house the other day. I took a picture before I helped him outside. Just gorgeous!