Friday, March 14, 2008

Stitchin' and a'grinnin'!

I went for a couple of years not doing any real thread work at all. Just too much going on at home with a toddler. This month, I finally got my steel hooks out again and got busy! I'm on my 3rd doily this month now.

Here's the 2nd one I finished:


This is the Windsor Oval pattern from Absolutely Fabulous Doilies. It was fun to make, although I really don't enjoy front post triples. :o)

As soon as I finish the doily that is on my hook right now, I will take a break from crochet for a bit and finish my knit socks. :o) I have project-ADHD sometimes. Seems I always have several going at once because I get tired of working on the same thing relatively quickly sometimes. At least I've gotten into the habit now of actually finishing everything. Nothing sits 2/3 done in my workbasket for 2 years anymore. :o)

And, here's my questionaire for the Favorite Color Swap: (Thanks for all your hard work Nicole!)

1. What are your top three favorite colors? Blue, Deep cherry red, Purple (jewel tones).

2. What crafts do you really enjoy? Knitting and crochet.

3. What products do you really covet? Crochet thread. Sock yarn.

4. What other activities do you enjoy besides your favorite crafty things? There is more than crafting?? LOL. I love to read. I like outdoor activities. I'm working hard to lose weight. I enjoy spending time with my family and playing games with my 3 year old.

5. Is there anything you collect? boardgames and cardgames. Thread and yarn. Steel crochet hooks. Old sewing notions. Vintage postcards and photos. Americana art. Knitting or crochet memorabilia. Vintage doily and vintage lace patterns. Old bits of vintage thread work. Healthy recipes.

6. What is your zodiac sign and/or Chinese zodiac symbol? I'm a Cancer. Can't remember which Chinese symbol I am -- the monkey maybe? 1968.

7.What are your favorite……scents/smells?…spicy scents like patchouli, cinnamon, lavender. Lavender is the only floral scent that I'm not allergic to. Other florals give me a whopping headache and make me sneeze.

types of music and/or bands?…I have ecclectic tastes in music. I listen to everything from Big Band music to alternative. My favorite music is classic rock from the 60's/70's, and Loreena McKennitt. I don't like rap music (the lyrics are a bit too rough for me), country (a bit too whiney and depressing and sounds too much like yodeling sometimes for me), or screamer music.

authors?…Agatha Christie is my favorite author, but I also read a lot of historical fiction (not the romance novel sort), and ghost story type books. Another ecclectic area for me....I read about anything really except pulp romance novels.

animals?…I love cats! And I also really like dogs. We have 5 cats and 2 dogs at home.

places to shop?…Craft and yarn shops! :o) I also LOVE antique stores, thriftshops and flea markets. :o) I like to display little bits of vintage goodies. In my front room, I have an antique sewing machine on display, as well as some wood thread spools and other dashes of vintage crafting and sewing.


season?…fall is my favorite season. Perfect weather, and lots of nice holidays and fun. :o) But I also like Spring as well!!! Great time to be outside and enjoying the sunshine!

yarn/fabric/paper/other craft supplies?…I love unusual colors of thread. I want to try to hand dye some at some point and see how it comes out. I don't really have much fabric on hand as I only use it to line purses. I have been looking for a yard or so of jewel toned fabric to line a recycled silk purse I made, but always seem to forget when I'm actually at the store. I have just about every size of knitting needle imaginable, but have a couple holes in my steel crochet hook collection in the smaller sizes. I need to buy size 10 through the teeny sizes again as I can't find them. I have a book that has patterns for making doilies with sewing thread, and I want to try it. :o) Looks like a fun challenge, and sewing thread comes in so many neat colors! :o)

candies or goodies? I'm on a major diet, and also am pre-diabetic. So I can't have regular candy or sweets. I don't use any sort of artificial sweetners (nutrasweet, sucralose or splenda, saccharin or sweet and low) as I'm allergic to them. And I have cut High Fructose Corn Syrup out of my diet because I was getting wayyyy to much sugar. I can have stuff like flavored coffee or hot tea though. :O)

8. Do you have any wish lists? I do have an amazon list. There's a link on my blog. I put it up for hubby so that he could get ideas for birthday presents, etc.

9. Are you allergic to anything? I'm highly allergic to cigarette smoke and all floral scents except lavender. And I can't have any artificial sweetners. And I'm pre-diabetic....so no regular sugar either. Sigh. lol. :)

10. Do you have any pets? What are they? we have 5 cats (3 indoor and 2 outdoor) and two little dogs.

Also, if you have a Ravelry ID, please include it here. On Ravelry, I'm woolieworm

Hugs! Juli