Sunday, January 08, 2006

I'm so excited!!

Lots going on this week!! I'm working to start a TOPS group in the town where I live. TOPS is Taking Pounds Off Sensibly. It's a diet support group with weekly meetings and weigh ins. Someone recommended it to me, but the closest meeting in my area is 30 miles away. So, I got on the phone to some friends, and we're going to start our own chapter! :o) I'm really excited! It sounds like a real blast!

I also started a weight loss blog. It's at www.fluffieknitter.blogspot.com I have a lot of weight to lose, but I'm determined to do it! :o)

For anyone who is also interested in losing some weight, the yahoogroup I started is really going great!! We have about 80 members now, and since it started in late December, the group has lost a total of about 30 pounds!! Check it out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/craftylosers/

Come be a loser with us!!!

I'm also excited about Secret Pal 7!! I just got my secret pal's info tonight!!

Here is my survey for SP7 in case my pal (and the peope who read my blog are interested in knowing more about me)

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? No, I'm not a yarn snob. I like to try new things. Love wool, alpaca, etc. But I also use a lot of acrylic too.

2. Do you spin? Not yet. I want to try it, but haven't bought a spindle or anything yet
Crochet? I crochet, knit and tat.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a needle holder for my crochet hooks. But unfortunately, my knitting needles are in an ugly tupperware container or are all over the place. Ugh.

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I've been knitting since March 2005, but I crocheted for 15+years before that. I caught on fast. I'd consider myself an intermediate knitter.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? No, I don't.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Cinnamon, Patchouli, warm scents. Not floral -- makes me sneeze. :o)

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I'm borderline Type 2 diabetic. So no sweets unless they are sugar free please.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Anything!! plastic canvas, latch hook, tatting, embroidery, miniature painting, jewelry making, stitch marker making, etc. I would love to learn to spin and dye my own yarn. But not sure where to start, etc.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) 60's/70's classic rock is my favorite. But I listen to a wide variety of things from swing and jazz, to classic rock, to alternative. No rap please.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? My favorite color is blue. I love jewel tones and autumn colors. I don't care for pink.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I'm married with two teenagers, an 18-month old, 3 cats and one puppy who thinks she is a person. :o)

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? scarves, hats, mittens -- yes. Ponchos - No. I'm overweight -- I'd look like a grape. LOL.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? Neat bright fuzzy or unusual yarns to make cute scarves with! :o) I also love to make kitchen stuff with cotton.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I can't really think of anything I haven't liked unless it's acrylic yarns that split too easily.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? Socks!! But I don't have very many patterns or sets of dpn's. Wish I knew how to make them using circulars, but haven't learned yet. And I want to learn to knit with lace weight -- I want to make a pretty shawl out of a really pretty lace weight yarn! I also want to start making baby afghans for women at church and friends who are expecting.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Dishcloths, socks and scarves! :o)

17. What are you knitting right now? A cabled knit vest for my mother in law, 2 scarves, a shawl and a dishcloth. I always have several projects going at once. Keeps me from getting bored working on the same one.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? I love hand-made gifts because I know how much work goes into them!!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? I use both because for some projects one works better than the other.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I use all 3 types. Depending on the yarn I'm using, sometimes one sort works better than another. Like I use aluminum with acrylic yarns. Bamboo with slick novelty yarns. And plastic when I need a bit of give in my needles.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? No, I wish I did though. I plan to buy one very soon.

22. How did you learn to knit? I took a class at the local community college to get the basics, and then taught myself the rest.

23. How old is your oldest UFO? The cable knit sweater -- 3 months, or so. Still working on it. I can only work on it in the evenings when the baby is already asleep because I really have to pay attention for all the cables and twists.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird? Wallace and Gromit!

25. What is your favorite holiday? Toss up between Halloween and Christmas.

26. Is there anything that you collect? Exercise videos. Teddy Bears. Buttons for crafts. Knitting needles and crochet hooks.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I subscribe to Interweave Knits. And I buy some knitting mags at the grocery store.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? I'd love to have the scripture afghan pattern book in crochet or knitting.

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I want to learn to spin and dye yarn.

30. Are you a sock knitter? Yes!

What are your foot measurements? Women's 8 1/2 shoe size. I can take precise measurements if my partner needs them.

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) July 11th.

That's the whole survey!!!

TTFN!