Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Ohhhhhhhhhhh Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

You know that sinking feeling you get when your latest knitting project gets pulled off the needle by accident?? Or when you finish crocheting a round on a doily and realize halfway around you missed a repeat and the whole row is lop-sided?

Well, I now know that you also get that sinking feeling when you discover your favorite yarn supplier is moving out of town!

Cry, whine, bottom lip stuck out.......

By June 1st, Elmore-Pisgah will have moved their yarn mill in Spindale, NC to Old Fort -- about 40 miles from where I live. They will still be in business -- so their threads, yarns and Peaches and Creme cotton will still be manufactured. Just not 6 blocks from my house.

The worst part of it is that the move also means that there are jobs that have been lost here in town. Spindale has lost a lot of its mill jobs -- and I'm always sorry when hard-working, nice people get laid off.

I'm sure they announced the move quite awhile back, but I just wasn't paying attention to the local news. I will really miss being able to drop in at the mill and pick up yarn. But, I can still drop in when I make trips up that way. It's a longer drive, but not so far away that I can't make it there 2-3 times a year.

I made sure to stock up yesterday....



And I'll drop in one more time before they close up shop completely and pick up some more. I got a lot of pretty colors and two cones of the Gumdrops variegated. :) That ought to keep me in dishcloths, towel toppers and all things cotton for awhile. :)

And my husband, the sweetie pie that he is, didn't say one word about my buying more yarn. :) My stash hadn't been fed at all in a month. I was going into a NYA tail-spin (No-Yarn-Acquisition).

There is nothing like new yarn smell to make a Fibrist (My new made up word for "One who dabbles in the fiber arts; a yarn addict; anyone with more than one unfinished knitting/crochet project and who owns more than 10 skeins of yarn") just giddy with delight. It's the Joy of Yarn. Cat-nip for Fibrists. Fiber nirvana.

Gotta have yarn. :) Essentially it's string.....and a world without string is chaos. :) To quote "Mousehunt''....a very cute movie! :)

TTFN!!