Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Knittin' a Tube and Curiousity Wet the Cat

Last night, I started on a knitted necklace pattern I've been planning to make for a few weeks. It's for an accessories swap I'm in at C'ville. It's a fun pattern, and is giving me a chance to try something new. I have never done double-knit (also called tubular knitting), so it's been enjoyable figuring it out.



I'm using Omega baby yarn which has such a pretty sparkle to it. It's about the size of #3 thread, heavier than lace weight, but less than most sock yarn. Size 3 straight needles work perfectly with it. :) So far so good! The pattern I'm using is from KnitNet magazine, which is totally worth the subscription fee! It's my favorite online knitting magazine. They have sample patterns available for free from each issue, but the necklace pattern is part of the paid subscription patterns. And for a bit extra, you can get a CD with a year's worth of their patterns. No affiliation here....I just enjoy their net mag!

I did make one boo-boo. The tube is formed by alternate K and sl 1 purlwise stitches. If you mess up and get them out of order, your tube doesn't open all the way. Guess what I did?? lol. Kinda a bit of a brain drain to tink back double knit....you have to get the stitches back on the needle in exact order and not backwards once you rip back. Took me two tries to get it done right, but I managed it. :) I also learned that tinking frustration can be healed with a nice hot cup of Chai!

It's fun learning something new. This is the first time I have knitted a tube without using double pointed needles.

The tube is knitted to 36 inches long....gonna take me awhile! lol. I'll post more pictures when I get to stage 2 of this project!

Not much else going on around here today. But then again it's only 10 a.m. as I type this. :) Anything can happen in a household with toddlers, kitties and teenagers in it. :) The baby is playing in the tub, along with his usual furry visitor. Morning bath time is a big draw for overly curious kittens!

Kato the kitten loves to play in the bathtub. He drinks out of the faucet and plays in the tub when it's empty. And, when the baby takes his bath, nearly every time he has a little furry companion, who 90% of the time ends up falling into the tub. That doesn't deter him. The little imp is not afraid of the water at all.

This is the 2nd cat we've had that doesn't mind water. Our Pixie Bob, Fooful, when he was younger used to hop in the tub with my now 15 year old son. :) How that he's 5 years old, Fooful has grown too fussy about his fur to think of hopping in a tub.

We get a good laugh out of Kato's antics. He's definitely feisty, and he thinks he's a person. Josh just loves this little kitty. :) They are inseparable. Kato even takes naps with little Josh. And he and Josh get into evvvvvverything!

If it's not the 2 year old breaking things, it's the kitten! I find myself saying "Boys, if you don't settle down I'm going to put BOTH of you in time out!''


~The 2 "kids" playing together~


~I won't fall in this time....really I wont!~


~Tub toys are FUN!!~