Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Mythbusters and Scary Movies

Anybody watch Mythbusters? I really enjoy that show! How else would I know that my box of Kleenex in the car won't kill me during a car wreck. That you can't be electrocuted to death by peeing on the middle rail of a Subway. A bullet shot straight up won't come back down and kill anyone. And....most interestingly.....pants soaked in herbicide can explode. :)

Gotta love Mythbusters!! I tivo it all the time, and watch it at night while I knit. :)

What a cool job!! Totally awesome to be able to spend all day planning out all sorts of neat devices, and getting to blow things up and create mayhem.

I caught another very interesting show the other day: 100 Scariest Movie Moments. It was a 4 part show counting down the most frightening horror movie bits. For the most part I agreed....and I made a list of several movies that looked really scary that I haven't seen before.

I like horror movies. More psychological or thriller horror than the awful slasher movies. Those don't scare me....they're just gross. But movies that mess with your mind.....very very scary!

My top 10 differs a bit from theirs:

10. The Fury. Psychic teenagers in an experiment go nutso and cause lots of trouble. This movie scared the **** out of me when I was a kid. Definitely a bit late 70's, but still scary!
There is one scene where the boy is spinning a woman around and around and around about 10 feet off the ground....it's the creepiest scene in the entire movie.



9. Resident Evil. The sound effects in this movie were the most scary for me. The first time I saw it every time the zombies attacked someone I had to plug my ears. Didn't their mamas teach them to chew with their mouths closed??



8. It. I HATE clowns -- they scared me as a child, and I've never grown to like them. Ugh. Killer demonic clown that can talk to you through your shower drain.....oh, definitely scary for me.



7. Blair Witch. This is a movie you have to be able to immerse yourself in the first time you watch it. The first time I saw this movie, I kept thinking about what I would do if I was lost in the woods with all that weirdness going on. It was creepy, and something totally different. But it only works for a one-time viewing. When I watched it again, I couldn't get that feeling back, and it seemed silly. So, definitely a one shot movie.



6. Dark Water. A Japanese horror movie about an apartment building, and a child who died there. Very creepy. Great horror effects. It's subtitled, but a great movie!



5. The Others. Nicole Kidman was great! Very cool twisty ending.



4. Ghost Story. Weird, creepy story about a circle of friends who are hiding something. I think this was Fred Astaire's last movie.



3. Pet Semetary. After the accident, when you realize what the father is going to do.....oh my! And the deranged cat......eeeeek!! Great movie to watch in the dark!



2. The Grudge. Remake of Ju-On, a Japanese horror movie. The attic door scene about made me wet my pants. Scenes where someone turns to find something directly in their face make me jump about a foot every time.



1. The Shining. The original, not the remake. Watching Jack Nicholson go psychopath crazy, and the big empty quietness of that hotel. Big time creepy!! All work and no play makes Jack a very dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a very dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a very dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a very dull boy.



Anyone else have any to add???

TTFN!