Friday, February 02, 2007

~ColorSplash Knit Bookmark~

I've been working on a knit lace scarf for a couple weeks now....and I've also been crocheting bookmarks for gifts and exchanges. I was knitting on my scarf the other day when I looked down and saw my ball of thread in my craft basket. Hmmmm.....I wonder if I could knit with that??
After rummaging around in my knitting needles, I found a set of Zero needles and decided to give it a try. And, not only was it workable, I realized that stockinette stitch in thread would make a cute bookmark! So I got my creative brain cells working, and this is what I came up with.....Enjoy! (And, don't be intimidated by knitting with thread. Once your fingers get the hang of it, it's no more difficult than knitting with sock yarn)
~ColorSplash Knit Bookmark~
***The usual disclaimer: This pattern is an original work by Juli Wyant, and is wholly owned by her. This pattern is provided for personal use only, and can be printed for your personal use only. Please do not copy this pattern to other websites/blogs/groups, or distribute copies -- but feel free to link to this page. Yes, you can make items for sale from this pattern....but please don't sell the pattern itself, or present it as your original work. Yadda, yadda, yadda. We all know the copyright drill. ***
Supplies:
#10 Crochet thread in a vibrant color of your choice
8 Colorful buttons - round or novelty
Size 0 knitting needles
Thread for sewing on buttons
Pattern:
Cast on 14 stitches
Row 1 and 2: Knit across
Row 3-9: Slip 1st stitch knitwise, work in stockinette (alternate K and P rows - odd rows are P rows)
Row 10-13: Slip 1st stitch knitwise, knit across (garter stitch)
Repeat rows 3-13 Seven times.
Last row: knit across
Bind off.
Sew buttons in center between rows of garter stitch (see photo)
Using novelty buttons in animal shapes, or other different themes, could make some cute variations on this bookmark. Just be careful that the buttons are relatively flat so that the bookmark can still be used in a book.
Crochet Version: You can adapt this pattern to crochet easily. Chain 15. Work HDC in 2nd loop from hook. HDC across. Work two rows of HDC in FL only. Then HDC in both loops for 8 rows, followed by 4 rows of HDC in FL only. Repeat 7 times. Followed by two rows of HDC in Front loops. FO.
**If you like my blog and patterns, please vote for me on the Crochet and Hook list. Vote by clicking the blue box towards the top in the left margin of my blog. Thank you so much!! Let me know what you think of my patterns -- just click the email link (also in the left hand margin).**